Here is another super-quick Mexican inspired recipe to make when you don’t have much time – or ingredients on hand. It uses 3 basic ingredients and is very inexpensive and easy to make (your teenager could easily make it!). Make a dang quesadilla, Napoleon!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 whole-wheat tortillas (8 inch)
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese (or cheddar if you aren’t vegan)
- 3/4 cup of salsa
- 1 Avocado (for slicing or guacamole)
- Scrub sweet potatoes: pierce several times with a fork. Place on a microwave-safe plate and microwave, uncovered, on high for 7 – 9 minutes (or use your “baked potato” auto cook button)
- When cool enough to handle, cut each potato lengthwise in half. Scoop out pulp and spread onto one half of each tortilla. Top with beans and cheese (if using). Fold other half of tortilla over filling. I like to sprinkle a little bit of seasoning over the beans – like garlic salt or greek seasoning.
- Heat a griddle or a skillet over medium heat. Cook 2 – 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Serve with your choice of toppings: sliced avocado/guacamole, shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream.
Nutritional info: 306 cal. 8 g fat (3g sat. fat – if using cheese), 15 mg cool., 531 sodium, 46g carb, 6g fiber 11 g pro.