This is my new summer favorite vegan dish! It is simple and quick to make – and it uses some of my favorite ingredients: avocado, quinoa and black beans. It is perfect for hot summer nights when you don’t want to cook over a hot stove. It is great for left-overs too (in fact, I like it cold). Again, all these ingredients can be found at Aldi which makes this a reasonably priced and quick vegan meal that your whole family will enjoy!
This dish can be found on page 44 of “One Dish Vegan” and it serves about 4. It usually takes me about 20 minutes or less. For mine I like to substitute black beans for the pinto beans. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto or black beans or 1 (15.5 oz) can of pinto or black beans – rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomato salsa (our favorite is Newman’s Own Peach Salsa)
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, pitted, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro (opt)
- 2 scallions, minced (opt)
- Juice and zest of 1 lime (about 2 Tbsp. lime juice)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Torn mixed salad greens for serving (opt)
- Place water in a saucepan, add 1/2 tsp salt, and bring to a boil. Add the quinoa, return to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a large bowl to cool. (I like to pop the bowl into the refrigerator until the other ingredients are ready to add).
- Add the beans and salsa to the the bowl, and toss to combine. Add the avocados, cilantro, scallions, lime juice and zest, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- If serving as a salad: arrange the salad greens on plates, top with the quinoa-bean mixture and serve.