I’ve struggled with finding a good vegan sandwich that is quick to make and easy to pack for outings. I remembered my niece sending me a recipe for chickpea salad – but I couldn’t find it anywhere. So, I did a search online and found this very easy and very delicious recipe. I was able to whip it up in 15 minutes – and take it with me for lunch with my choir group.
This recipe was published on July 26, 2018 by Michelle Blackwood (updated on May 6, 2019) on her blog, “Healthier Steps“. “Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans are high in protein and a great replacement for meat. They are packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber.”
- 15 ounces chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 stalk celery (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons red onion (finely chopped) – optional
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 teaspoon dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo (I used Just Mayo extra to spread on the bread)
- 4 slices bread (I used gluten-free bread)
- 2 lettuce leaves
- Drain and rinse the can of chickpeas (or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas), and place them into a bowl. Next mash chickpeas with a fork or a potato masher.
- Then add chopped red onions (if using), red bell pepper. celery, dill, vegan mayo, salt to taste and mix to combine.
- Spread between slices of bread with lettuce.
This delicious, colorful and crunchy salad recipe would make a perfect sandwich for potlucks, school, work, or a family trip.